The Preserve is OPEN!
View video from Preserve Manager, Stephanie Knox, HERE.
The Georgia Governor’s office announced on Friday, June 12, the lifting of some restrictions regarding COVID-19. In accordance with these announcements, Cannon’s Point Preserve has reopened for the usual Saturday/Sunday/Monday schedule.
For safety reasons, we will be taking a gradual, phased approach to reopening. During this first phase that began on June 13, we will be following a COVID-19 protocol that is designed to help ensure the well-being of visitors, volunteers, and staff. To best prepare for a visit to the Preserve, therefore, please note the following information:
- The Georgia-Pacific Education Pavilion remains closed to the public. However, trained docents and staff will be allowed in this area, where all visitors will be verbally signed-in upon arrival and signed-out when leaving the Preserve.
- To minimize physical contact, docents and staff will remain in the Pavilion and will not be greeting guests outside as usual.
- Again, to minimize contact, no handouts will be provided to guests. This includes brochures/maps. Please use your cellphone to download the Preserve map HERE and SSLT Outdoor Classroom scavenger hunts HERE prior to visiting the Preserve.
- Social distancing is encouraged, even while outdoors.
- Self-exploration on the Preserve is also encouraged.
- Please bring plenty of drinking water, bug spray and sunscreen for the duration of your visit.
The Preserve hours remain Saturday-Monday 9:00AM-3:00PM. Note: The Preserve will be closed Saturday and Sunday, July 4 & 5, but will re-open for normal hours Monday, July 6.
The Land Trust will continue to monitor the current health situation to ensure the safety of volunteers, visitors, and staff, and we will update the SSLT website regularly with any changes. Therefore, please be sure to check this site before visiting the Preserve. If you have questions, please call our office at (912) 638-9109.
Thank you for your understanding and patience during this time. We hope you enjoy your time at Cannon’s Point Preserve. Happy hiking!
The St. Simons Land Trust Team