Island Groups Celebrate Opening of Harrington Community Park
Supporters of the Park at Harrington on St. Simons Island celebrated the opening of the island's newest park at an event in December 2016.
Now known as the Harrington Community Park, the mid-island park is on 11 acres of land at 325 South Harrington Road surrounding the Harrington School, the former one-room schoolhouse where African-American children were educated from 1920 to the mid 1950s.
The property contains ecologically sensitive wetlands, as well as two ponds that provide habitat for federally endangered wood storks and other native wildlife. Improvements include walking trails, benches, and viewing platforms.
The St. Simons Land Trust, along with Glynn County, acquired the property in 2004.
With the backing of the Land Trust, the Supporters of the Park at Harrington, and the St. Simons African American Heritage Coalition, the Glynn County Commission unanimously approved the use of SPLOST V mones to fund its development as a park. The original design of the park was funded by a donation to the Land Trust by the DeLong-Sweet Family Foundation.
Land Trust Executive Director David Pope welcomed the opening of the park to the general public, saying "Our community's greatest asset is the natural outdoors, and this park will play an important role in giving people access to another protected greenspace."
For the first few years, Glynn County will maintain the park using combined funds from the Land Trust and from Supporters of the Park at Harrington. Within three years it is anticipated that county funds will fully fund the ongoing maintenance.